February 24, 2013

Cauliflower in what?

A friend of mine apparently noticed that I like to write about Mac n' Cheese on my blog so he sent me a recipe for Cauliflower Mac n' Cheese. I'm not a huge cauliflower fan at all, but I figured I should give it a try.

Ingredients:
* 1 head cauliflower, cored and cut into large pieces
* 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
* 2 bay leaves
* 12 ounces whole-wheat macaroni
* 1 cup cup grated cheese, such as cheddar, Gruyere, or Emmenthaler
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook cauliflower until soft, 15-20 minutes, then drain and transfer to a food processor.


2. In the meantime, heat stock with bay leaves. Simmer for five minutes and turn off the heat.
 

3. Process cauliflower with cheese, oil, mustard, and nutmeg. Add stock and blend to create a sauce, aiming for a fairly thick consistency (You may not need all the stock). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

 
 
 
4. Transfer pasta to nine-inch-square baking dish and cover with cauliflower sauce. Spread evenly in dish, top with breadcrumbs and cheese, and bake until golden and bubbling, 30 minutes or so. Allow to cool slightly, then serve.
 
 
 
 
 
 I agree with the website's commentary from where my friend got this recipe. "So did it work? It's not nearly as rich and satisfying as a perfect pan of macaroni and cheese. The mouthfeel changes from silky to slightly more starchy. But it hits warm-and-gooey spot, and I didn't feel like taking a nap after. I adapted the recipe somewhat (a little more generous with the cheese, and a little less liquid) but all in all, I'd recommend giving this a try."




1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Have you ever tried the cauliflower "mashed potatoes"?

    ReplyDelete