June 4, 2011

Mona Lisa Smile

Today was a marathon day that wore me out completely. I started with a metro and train ride to Versailles. It's a really nice town and I definitely got chills walking up to it. I didn't realize how massive it actually was. I thought if I got there first thing in the morning, it wouldn't be packed, but it was. The inside was amazing. Just when you thought it couldn't get any more extravagant it actually did. The pictures really don't do it justice. The gardens were absolutely stunning as well.













Then I took a train ride back to Paris and got some lunch. Gyros french style. Greek food is so delicious!



Then I headed over to Notre Dame and walked around inside and went up the towers. The stained glass windows were amazing. I can't even imagine how they built that thing back in the 1200s. It's a miracle really!







After the hike up and down, which was exhausting, I headed over to the Louvre. That place is massive. It honestly would take a person a long time to see everything that they have there. I headed straight to the Mona Lisa. It was pretty impressive. I don't know what it is, but it was kind of emotional seeing it in person. I wonder if Da Vinci realized what kind of effect this piece would have. Anyway, it was a once in a lifetime experience. I highly recommend it.







After that, I decided to stop at a Bakery and try some of the French sweets. The cake is a Frasier. That was really good. The cookie like thing is a Macaroon. There is a story behind that one. I took a history class about the Reformation for fun one summer term at BYU. The teach was an expert in French History and always talked about how good the Macaroons were. She even made some for us, but warned us that they weren't as good as the real things and one day we needed to try them. Well, that one day was today. The real one was a lot better. Nice and sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment