June 2, 2011

I Don't Speak French

This summer I'll be working as an Intern for the State Department at the US Embassy in Budapest. I decided that I would take some time and tour around before I actually started. I left May 31st from BWI. I would highly recommend getting an international flight from there. There is hardly anyone there which makes the traveling process a whole lot easier. I flew a prop plane to Toronto and then waited for my flight. The guy doing passport checks criticized me for not using "Pardon?" and that just really surprised me. Why are you criticizing my English?

After a three hour layover, I departed for Frankfurt. The flight was uneventful. I can't really sleep on planes, which makes them long, but it was okay. We were late, which meant I only had 20 minutes to make my connecting flight. Well, I ran and had to go through security, but I didn't make it. Oh, let the fun begin again! So I had to walk another mile to get re-booked, but he couldn't print my ticket, so I had to go outside of security and then get the ticket. Then I was worried because there was a guy from the Embassy waiting to pick me up and I didn't have a phone and internet was like .25 euro cents a minute. I was lucky and found this company booth type thing and I was able use internet for free.

My new flight was supposed to leave at five, but it was delayed until 6:30. Then they let us board our plane, which included taking a bus to our plane. After everyone gets on, we are just sitting there not going anywhere. The flight attendant eventually came on and said that we would be delayed another hour because there was only one runway open. Great! So, after two hours on the plane we finally took off. I was just hoping the guy from the Embassy was still waiting for me because I didn't know what I was going to do if he wasn't there. Needless, to say Admir was there and had a driver for us. He is a really cool guy originally from Bosnia. Anyway, we went back to our apartment, which is amazing (I'll post pictures once I get back to Budapest). He gave me the grand tour and we just talked for a little bit. Then I went to bed. I slept so well.

In the morning, I got some breakfast and Got a transportation pass for Budapest. Then I went to the airport, caught my flight to Paris. Once I arrived, I picked up my museum pass and transportation pass. I then caught a bus to my hotel. While I was waiting two people asked me questions in French, and I had to respond sorry but I don't speak french. I knew france was pretty diverse, but I didn't realize just how diverse. There were more Africans and Muslims then there were Europeans. It was kind of neat. So I find my hotel, and there is a wonderful sign on the door:



I was like: What? How does that happen? I had a reservation. Anyway, I made my way into the lobby and after a couple of minutes, I gave a nice looking lady my best parlez vous francais and she helped me to find the concierge who let me in. Needless to say it was a scary few minutes there. I got some dinner and then I headed to downtown Paris. My hotel is about a 30 minute subway ride to the downtown part. It was amazing.



I also had some ice cream. It was so good. European Ice cream is so much better than American ice cream. there will be a lot of Ice Cream eaten this summer. I can't wait! Tomorrow Versailles!

No comments:

Post a Comment