June 19, 2011

Belgian Waffles

I got into Brussels about eight o’clock in the evening. I was a little worried about what I had gotten myself into. I walked out of the train station and it took me forever to find a street sign so I could use my Google Map to find my hotel. I found it finally, and then I started walking. All the while, I was like what have a gotten myself into. It was pretty run down and there was trash everywhere and not a white person in sight. Needless to say I walked briskly to the hotel, which was surprisingly nice.

In the morning I woke up and had breakfast at the hotel (included). It was probably the nicest breakfast I had ever had in Europe. They had bread, meats, cheese, orange juice and croissants which was really nice. After breakfast I headed to the city. I honestly just kind of wondered till I came across things. I started at the Cathedral which was really nice. Then I found my way to the older part of town. The town square was amazing. The buildings were absolutely amazing. The flower market in the center really added to its charm. Then I explored some more churches and then headed to the main event.



For some reason I have always wanted to see Mannequin Pis. Don’t ask me why, but there is just something cool about someone peeing and it being a fountain. It was worth the trip. Once again my Asian friends came through for me and took my picture. Honestly, this was one of the major highlights of the trip for me.



After that I went exploring some more around Brussels. I decided to be American again and ate at Subway! It was good. Then I did some shopping. I got some Belgian chocolate, which is pretty good and pretty expensive. Then I had a Belgian waffle with whipped cream and strawberries. It was so good! It was better than any waffle I had ever had. Nice and crispy! You should definitely try it if you get the chance. Then I headed to the train station where I spent some time on the Internet. I got on the train to Amsterdam. Once again----nice train that was super fast.



Honestly, Brussels is nice, but nothing to write home about. I don’t think I would spend more than a day there because there really isn’t that much to do, but Mannequin Pis is definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment