March 14, 2012

Miracle in Dayton

This week marks my first ever official spring break. BYU doesn't have a spring break, so I have never been able to experience Spring Break as a college student. Monday I was good and got a decent draft of a paper written. Tuesday, I woke up early and went to court (don't worry I was just observing).

Before, I go any further, flasback to Sunday. I was pretty sure the cougars were going to make The Big Dance, but I wasn't sure where they would end up. I was hoping that they wouldn't have to play in the play-in game because there is just something about having to play an extra game. All the time I was hoping this, I was secretly hoping they would be part of the First Four because it was in Dayton. Well, on Selection Sunday, my secret wish came true. I called my Dad, we bought tickets and everything was set.

So Tuesday afternoon, I left for Dayton (about a two hour drive from Indy). I met my Dad and we headed to the Wright Brothers National Park.


It's a really neat place, free and worth your time. The whole neighborhood is basically a replica of what it looked like when the Wright Brothers were there. They owned a bike shop to fund their flights and also a printing press as well as a general store. They were really amazing at how they came up with all of the aerodynamic principles that we accept as common knowledge. The first flight took place in North Carolina. They moved there because it was one of the windiest places in the country. Like I said, a great place. You should stop by if you ever find yourself in Dayton.

Then we had dinner at Chilis. So good. Then we headed to the arena. My only complaint about the whole evening was the parking situation. You could only enter the arena lots going one direction and of course we were coming from the opposite way. We ended up parking at a Marriott a mile away and took a shuttle. We talked to a fun guy while we were waiting. He suggested that Mitt Romney should have come to the game too and it could have been like a rocky fight or something. Turns out he used to live in Baltimore. We ended up giving him our tickets for Wednesday's game because you could only buy tickets for both nights. He really appreciated it.

Then B. Hussein arrived. The whole event really didn't serve any purpose except for a photo op. I'm convinced that this is the purpose for most government functions. The media swarmed him during the first time out. He took the obligatory picture with a baby. He did the TV interview. Anyway, it was cool to be that close to the President.



The first game was Western Kentucky against Missouri Valley State College. Missouri Valley was ahead most of the game, but Western Kentucky came from behind and won. It was a great finish. The arena was packed with WK fans and that made for a fun atmosphere. They were pumped.  That is what March is all about. I know this is no consolation, but MVSC won for best mascot among the two. WK was a top. MVSC was this horned creature.


Then it was time for the main event. I've always wanted to go to an away basketbally when I was at the Y, but it never happened. I also wanted to see the Cougs play in the Tourney. My dream had finally come true and it started off as a nightmare. Iona was shooting lights out. It didn't help that we had obnoxious Iona fans sitting behind us. Always happens to me. I'll never forget the time at a BYU football game against Washington, there was a fan rooting for Washington the whole game. Turns out she was a Ute fan just rooting against BYU. The Cougars were cold, and Iona was shooting lights out. MoMo Jones was making everything. It was like a 16 pt. deficit at halftime. Anyway, I told my dad we'll give the Cougars ten minutes to see if they can make a game of it or we are leaving.

Make a game of it they did. All of a sudden they discovered what a defense was. They were able to get stop after stop. They started making smart shots. DeMarcus Harrison hit some major threes. With ten minutes to go it was a game. They just kept clawing back until with only a few minutes left they were able to overcome the Gaels and win. It was a great win. Historic even (the greatest comeback in Tournament history). I had been let down by the Cougars before, but they didn't disappoint on this night. It was awesome.

The shuttle ride to our car was awesome with all of the BYU fans. Then I said goodbye to dad and headed home to Indy. It was a great day! Tomorrow, my spring break gets windy! It'll be epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment