April 27, 2014

NPRMCC

Continuing our tour of the law school, on the second floor you will find the following plaque with my name on it.



I had the chance this school year to serve as the Chief Justices of the National Professional Responsibility Moot Court Competition. I also worked on the competition’s problem design. A “moot court” is where law students argue a fake case. Working on this competition was really a year-long process. It started last year around this time as we started coming up with ideas for this year’s problem. The key is to find a balanced issue that gives each side a fair shot at making a pretty strong argument. Once we got a solid idea for our problem, we began writing the problem. Basically, you are writing two court opinions that the teams participating will appeal to the fictitious Supreme Court. This was very tedious. But we got it finished by the November deadline. You can read the problem here. I worked on the 8.2 issue.

Besides the problem, as Chief Justice of the competition I worked on registration and other issues with the competition. You don’t realize how long it takes to plan something until you have to do it. Luckily I had an excellent board that helped me out a lot. We ended up having ten teams from law schools across the country participate.

The competition was in March just before spring break. Besides some last minute room changes, things went surprisingly smooth. Our banquet at the NCAA headquarters went really well. We held the final round at the actual Indiana Supreme Court which was a neat experience. I think we were all glad when it was over though.


Even though it was over, there were a lot of wrap-up items that needed to take place. I’m finally finished with it. It was a great way to represent the law school on a national stage. And gave me some great experience in the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment